Current events, along with the historical legacy we carry as a nation, as communities, and as individuals, call for urgent leadership action to dismantle systemic racism and promote health equity. Indeed, anti-racism and health equity are inextricably interconnected with environmental and climate justice, and addressing these issues is key in promoting a just health sector transformation.
Recognizing the need and desire for nurses to center anti-racism and health equity while taking leadership in environmental health and in their professional settings, ANHE is holding the Health Equity and Anti-Racism (HEAR) Leadership Institute for nurses and nursing students. The Institute will run from approximately April/May through September of 2021.
The design of the HEAR Institute will be guided by the needs and contexts of participants as identified through pre-program interviews in which program applicants will be invited to participate. While this design of the HEAR Institute is still in development, we anticipate the program to consist of the following elements:
- Participation open to nurses and nursing students from all backgrounds, identities, specialties, and geographical areas of the United States.
- Four 1.5 hour virtual workshops offering instruction, discussion, and collaboration around health equity and anti-racism within the contexts of environmental health and justice as well as nursing practice more broadly. Workshop dates are (All times for the workshops are 10-11:30 a.m. Pacific/ 11 a.m. – 12:30 p.m. Mountain/ noon-1:30 p.m. Central/ 1-2:30 p.m. Eastern):
- #1 – May 18
- #2 – June 15
- #3 – July 20
- #4 – Sept 21
- Uplifting the experience of Black, Indigenous, and people of colors and those who have been given marginalized racial identities, including the people and communities we care for and our colleagues
- Group collaboration and community building among participants
- Support for taking acts of leadership around HEAR in environmental health and nursing practice
- Potential for individual or small group support and coaching
Further details and an application are forthcoming! If you would like to sign-up to receive more information and to be updated when the application period opens, please complete this google form. Please contact Rachel Kerr at email@example.com for questions.