- This event has passed.
Sigma & ANHE Webinar Series: A Global Movement for Health – Nursing Leadership on Climate Change
February 4 @ 4:00 pm - 5:00 pm EST
Upcoming Sigma & ANHE Webinar Series: A Global Movement for Health – Nursing Leadership on Climate Change
Join the Alliance of Nurses for Healthy Environments and Sigma Theta Tau International Honor Society of Nursing for a 3-part webinar series on climate change and health starting February 4th, 2020. This series will feature nurse speakers from around the world as they share opportunities for nursing engagement and action to address the climate crisis.
Webinar One – Nursing in a Changing Climate: A Call to Action
- Moderated by: Liz Madigan, PhD, RN, FAAN, Chief Executive Officer of Sigma Theta Tau International Honor Society of Nursing (Sigma)
- Barbara Sattler, RN, DrPH, FAAN, Professor in Public Health at the University of San Francisco
- Fiona Armstrong, BN, GradDipJourn, MPPP, Founder and Executive Director of the Climate and Health Alliance
- Katie Huffling, MS, RN, CNM, FAAN, Executive Director of the Alliance of Nurses for Healthy Environments
Webinar Two – Health Sector Solutions to Address Climate Change
Date/Time: February 18th 4-5 pm ET
Description: The health sector is a major contributor to climate change, with health care’s climate footprint equal to about 4.4% of global net greenhouse gas emissions. Hospitals, health care systems, health organizations, and public health departments can lead by example by implementing climate-smart health care solutions, reducing their carbon footprint, and building health sector and community resilience to the impacts of climate change. On this webinar speakers will provide an overview of how the health sector contributes to climate change and showcase initiatives being instituted by health systems and health organizations to reduce climate pollution. Speakers will additionally share how health infrastructure can be strengthened to build community resilience and improve preparedness and response to climate-related health risks.
- Moderated by: Anabell Castro Thompson, MSN, APRN, ANP-C, FAAN, Nurse Practitioner and Senior Vice President of Health Equity at Equality Health
- Debbie Wilson, BSc (Hons), Sustainability Manger, Middlemore Hospital, Auckland, New Zealand
- Kristine Qureshi, PhD, RN, FAAN, CEN, PHNA-BC, Associate Dean of Research and Global Health, PhD Program Director & Professor, University of Hawaii at Manoa
- Jessica Mardid, BScN, MSc, President, Canadian Association of Nurses for the Environment
Webinar Three – Exemplars of Nursing Leadership on Climate Change
- Moderated by: Teddie Potter, PhD, RN, FAAN, Director of Planetary Health, School of Nursing and Clinical Professor, Population Health and Systems Cooperative at the University of Minnesota
- Ruth McDermott-Levy, PhD, MPH, RN, FAAN, Associate Professor and Director of the Center for Global & Public Health at Villanova University
- Lisa M. Thompson RN, FNP-BC, MS, PhD, FAA, Associate Professor in the School of Nursing at Emory University
- Doriam Camacho Rodríguez, RN, MBA, PhD, Dean Faculty of Nursing at the Cooperative University of Colombia