At the heart of nursing is the understanding that when we create the right environment, nature can heal itself. As the most numerous and most trusted health profession in the world, nurses can co-create a healthier future by embracing the actions of Nurses’ Drawdown.
Nurses across the globe are invited to participate in Nurses’ Drawdown. Since the earliest days of professional nursing, nurses have understood that optimal health requires good nutrition, adequate mobility, a healthy environment, and social support. Through commitment to Nursing Drawdown actions, nurses will improve the health of individuals and communities, while also taking steps to heal the planet.
In partnership with Project Drawdown, nurses from all specialties and in all practice settings are encouraged to take action in four key areas:
- ENERGY: Supporting a clean energy future by promoting energy efficiency and advocating for a transition to renewable energy
- FOOD: Committing to eat a more plant-based diet, use clean-burning cookstoves, and reduce food waste
- MOBILITY: Promoting walkable cities, including improving bike infrastructure and mass transit
- GENDER EQUITY: Supporting education for girls and access to family planning
- NATURE: Planting trees and protecting forests
As nurses, we commit ourselves to improving the health of individuals, communities, and the planet now, and for generations to come.
Join the Nurses Drawdown movement here.