The Food & Agriculture Committee is broadly focused on the relationship between how we grow/raise our food and equitably distribute healthy and safe food to all people. Sustainable farming, farmworker health and safety, pesticide use, and food insecurity are included in our wide range of committee interests, as is amplifying the use of Food As Medicine in our practice to reduce the burden of diet-related chronic disease in the population.
Food and Agriculture Committee Co-Chairs
If you would like to join the Food & Agriculture Committee listserv, sign up here. (This link takes you to our Food and Ag Google group.)
The Food and Agriculture Committee was developed in response to interest by nurses on a broad range of topics. In our first year, we provided monthly webinars by experts in a very wide array of topics – You can access the webinars here.
During Committee calls nurses have identified the following topical areas of emerging interest:
- School lunches
- Food and chronic diseases (including cancer) and mental health
- Nutrient density
- Food security
- Community supported agriculture
- Food as Medicine
- Climate change, carbon footprint of farming, carbon sequestration farming
- Plant-based diets
- Soil health and water
- Food waste
Nurses have identified the following ways in which we might address some of our areas of interest:
- Curriculum and educational efforts
- Working with nursing organizations
- Changing the narrative about healthy food
- Food and agriculture policies within nursing organizations – some exist and how do we amplify them and develop associated actions
Green Bag Lunch – Green Tea Webinar Series
Over the past year we produced the Green Bag Lunch – Green Tea Webinar Series, exploring a variety of food and ag topics. Each webinar is available with free CE. You can view the webinars here.