- This event has passed.
Webinar – Latest FDA Advisory to Protect People at Risk from Dental Mercury
May 5 @ 12:00 pm - 1:00 pm EDT
Have you heard about the Food and Drug Administration’s new recommendations related to amalgam dental fillings?
Amalgam fillings, sometimes misleadingly called “silver fillings”, are 50% mercury. The FDA is now advising certain vulnerable populations (including children and pregnant women, people with neurological issues or kidney disease) to avoid getting dental amalgam fillings, which are a source of unnecessary mercury exposure. Amalgam is now the biggest use of mercury in a product or medical device.
Many people feel these fillings are history but the truth is that many people — including people of color and low-income families, Indigenous peoples, military personnel, and persons who are incarcerated — too often continue to get these fillings. Join us on Wednesday, May 5 at 12:00 noon ET to learn more about:
- What amalgam is and its potential healths risks
- The life cycle of amalgam, how it pollutes our air, water, and soil, and how it exposes people to mercury
- Why amalgam is a social justice issue
- What other countries are doing to reduce or eliminate amalgam use
- Resources and planned activities to help get the word out on these new FDA recommendations in order to reduce amalgam use — and reduce the amount of mercury in people and the environment
This webinar is presented by Learning Disabilities Association of America, Children’s Environmental Health Network, National Medical Association and Consumers for Dental Choice.