The following agencies have a wealth of useful information on their websites. The links will take you to the agency’s homepage as well as selected webpages within the site.
- An agency of the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services, ATDSR serves the public by using the best science, taking responsive public health actions, and providing trusted health information to prevent harmful exposures and disease related to toxic substances.
- Points of interest within this site: Environmental Health Nursing Initiative
- CDC’s goal is to prevent, monitor and control disease, injury and disability on a national and global level. The agency engages in health monitoring, research, prevention strategies, and policy development to promote health.
- Points of interest within this site: Environmental Health, National Environmental Public Health Tracking Network
Department of Energy (DOE)
- DOE’s overarching mission is to advance the national, economic, and energy security of the United States; to promote scientific and technological innovation in support of that mission; and to ensure the environmental cleanup of the national nuclear weapons complex.
- The United States government’s principal agency for protecting the health of all Americans and providing essential human services.
- The U.S. EPA is a federal agency that develops laws, regulations, and guidance designed to protect human health and the environment.
- Points of interest within this site: Office of Children’s Health Protection, Envirofacts Warehouse, Concerned Citizens Resources, Integrated Pest Management, Pesticides and Food
- The agency responsible for ensuring the safety, efficacy, and security of human and veterinary drugs, biological products, medical devices, our nation’s food supply, cosmetics, and products that emit radiation.
- Points of interest on this site: National Center for Toxicological Research
- HUD’s mission is to increase homeownership, support community development and increase access to affordable, healthy housing free from discrimination.
- NLM is the world’s largest medical library. Publishes the PubMed and MEDLINE databases which are excellent sources of health information for health professionals and the general public.
- Points of interest on this site: PubMed, MEDLINE, Environmental Health and Toxicology Specialized Information Services
- One of the National Institutes for Health, NIEHS focuses on basic science, disease-oriented research, global environmental health, and multidisciplinary training for researchers.
- Points of interest on this site: Environmental Health Perspectives, National Toxicology Program
- NIOSH is the federal agency responsible for conducting research and making recommendations for the prevention of work-related injury and illness. It is part of the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.
- OSHA’s mission is to assure the safety and health of America’s workers by setting and enforcing standards; providing training, outreach, and education; establishing partnerships; and encouraging continual improvement in workplace safety and health.