The Alliance of Nurses for Healthy Environments is pleased to announced that Sigma Theta Tau International Honor Society of Nursing (Sigma) is the newest member of the Nursing Collaborative on Climate Change and Health. Sigma has more than 135, 000 active members in more than 90 countries with approximately 530 chapters at more than 700 institutions of higher education around the globe. Sigma’s mission is “advancing world health and celebrating nursing excellence in scholarship, leadership, and service” (Sigma, 2019).
The Nursing Collaborative on Climate Change and Health was formed in partnership with Climate for Health, an ecoAmerica program, and is aimed at building support across the nursing profession to address climate change as a health imperative. In the Fall of 2017, a special issue of the Journal of Nursing Scholarship, the official publication of Sigma, was released focused on climate change. This issue highlighted the multitude of challenges that health providers face related to climate change in the United States and globally and how nurses can play a role in addressing climate change. As an international leader among the profession, Sigma will bring attention to the importance of addressing climate change as a global health imperative. Sigma joins with 11 other national nursing organizations in this effort. Current members of the Nursing Collaborative include the following organizations:
- Alliance of Nurses for Healthy Environments (ANHE)
- American Academy of Nursing (AAN)
- American Association of Occupational Health Nurses (AAOHN)
- Association of Public Health Nurses (APHN)
- Center for Climate Change, Climate Justice, and Health at the MGH Institute of Health Professions
- National Association of Hispanic Nurses (NAHN)
- National Association of Nurse Practitioners in Women’s Health (NPWH)
- National Student Nurses’ Association (NSNA)
- Nurse Alliance of SEIU Healthcare
- Public Health Nursing Section of the American Public Health Association (APHA-PHN)
- Preventive Cardiovascular Nurses Association (PCNA)
- Sigma Theta Tau International Honor Society of Nursing
To learn more about the Nursing Collaborative and how your organization can become a member visit the Collaborative page here.